28 April 2005

My Dialect in Toronto

I have been living in Toronto for 7 years now. I have strong dialect in my mother tongue, Japanese. The dialect sounds even apply to English I speak sometimes. Only Japanese people can point it out though. Among my Japanse friends in Toronto, I use standard dialect when I speak Japanese. Only when majority of people whom I am with are from my home region (Kansai region), my dialect starts to appear. My Japanese pronounciation is getting mixed of the standard Tokyo way and my original Osaka dialect. It sounds awful sometimes, but it is getting really hard to correct it with living in Toronto with limited Japanese people. But, the language I have spoken when I was small comes back right away on the phone when my mom calls me. I speak funny English and Japanese now, but better or worse, that makes me more and more interesting person.

No comments: