28 September 2005

Very First Daycare Experience in Canada

I have started my placement at a nearby daycare centre for my school course. I will be at the daycare from 8:30am to 11:30 every Tuesday. It is just once a week, so there are only four times to visit left. The room I went was a room of 4 to 6-year-old children. I got really really nervous. I realised that I don't have much vocabulary in English spoken by children. A girl asked me, "I want to go to potty." I sensed and guessed that she is telling me that she wants to go to washroom, but I am not so sure and I am just a student so I redirected her to one of the caregivers to tell. After that I saw that she went out for washroom with the caregiver. The main purpose of this 5-week placement is to do observation, seeing children and record anything objectively. I will of course play with children and assist caregiver's tasks if I can. It was fun. I also found that the job has physical labour aspect.

3 comments:

Heipel said...

Hey, that sounds great and fun.

"I want to go to the potty" really means "Give me candy or I'm going to call the police!"

sptnk_nord said...

I will keep them in mind. Thanks! lol

Mark said...

At least when you work with immature brats they have a right to be. The problem in usual jobs is that the people act like four-year-olds and yet they're 40.