11 January 2013

Articles, Objects, and Me

At work, I found a book to practice correcting my accents in English. I started to read a little bit and I talked to my colleague. My colleague was born in Canada and she is a native English speaker. She curiously asked me why I think I need to correct my accents in English. She pointed out my grammar errors in my speech, that is often missing articles and objects. J and J have already told me about my errors as they are native speakers as well. This kind of mistake is coming from my mother tongue. Japanese doesn't have articles and we can often omit subjects and objects in conversations in Japanese.

English: I + have + a + pen.
Japanese: ( I ) + pen + have.

As long as I am living in the English environment, I will struggle with this grammatical differences forever.


No comments: